BLANKHOMEABOUTCONTACTKNIVESLOVES

6.28.2012

Grandmother's Kitchen: Discovery

While I was traveling on my most recent work trip to south Georgia I had the opportunity to stay with my parents who have a home on Jackson Lake. My mom came out to the kitchen yesterday morning right when I was about to leave to go on what ended up being a seven hour road trip to colleges and said that she wanted to talk to me about my grandmother's recipes.

We have a family reunion on my mom's side coming up in September and during this time we exchange gifts. This year my mom wanted us to do something special. She said that she wants to take all of her mom's old recipes and put them in a book. My grandmother Johnson was an extraordinary cook. Some of my fondest memories from childhood involve being in her little gingerbread colored house helping her make popcorn balls or peanut brittle for the upcoming event. She was one of the sweetest God fearing ladies you will ever meet. Seriously half of her recipes contain bible verses scribbled along with them.

So my task will be to put together a recipe book containing over a hundred recipes before September, it will be a long road but oh so worth it in the end. I will keep you posted on the adventure!


My grandmother wrote her recipes on anything that she had in front of her at the time!




2 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully sweet and beautiful project! I look forward to seeing the end result!

    ~L.M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kate!

    I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award! Details can be found on my blog, Unearthing Words.

    Have a blessed Monday!

    ~L.M.

    ReplyDelete